i have spent a while recently thinking about what, exactly, i have liked about my career. a few points:
- i like being appreciated.
- i like being compensated.
- i like being a little over my head. i prefer to stay right on the edge between the things i know i don't know and the things i don't know that i don't know.
- i like collaborating with people who are better at what they do than i am.
- i like having an understanding of long-term objectives, and i like being a significant factor in the achievement of those objectives.
- i like working with people like myself.
- i like being fully responsible for the execution of a project, however large or small.
- i like working on a new thing that will change some part of the world.
- i like working in emerging markets.
- i like working on things that people like me want, and want to interact with intimately.
- i like for the product values and interests that i have to overlap significantly with those of my collaborators and our product's users.
- i like being rewarded for my ability to identify, assess, analyze and solve problems, and i like it when those problems require me to learn about a new area of the world.
- i like clear objectives - and clear metrics by which they can be judged - over aesthetic, or "gut" feelings.
- i like working on general purpose technologies.
- i like working on cross-functional teams, and having responsibilities in many categories of business
I like this. Probably worth updating.